The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has suggested ways to save electricity consumption among Nigerians.
This is in light of the recent increase in electricity billing.
Here are Nine ways you can save electricity consumption in your residence or place of business.
· Turn off lights and electrical appliances when not in use: Don’t leave your electronics or light bulbs on all day long.
· Reduce use of water heaters: Water heating is a major contributor to your total energy consumption. Other than purchasing an energy-efficient water heater, there are two methods of reducing your water heating expenses. You can simply use less hot water or turn down the thermostat on your water heater.
· Purchase energy-efficient appliances: Appliances account for a large amount of enemy consumed in households, offices, and industries. With this in mind, it is important to be intentional about purchases made to ensure that energy-efficient appliances are installed.
· Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs: Traditional light bulbs waste 95% of the energy they use giving off heat with only 5% going toward the light. Switch them out or use them sparingly.
Leaving them on for long periods is highly wasteful. Halogen incandescent bulbs, compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), and light-emitting diode bulbs (LEDs) use anywhere from 25-80 per cent less electricity and last 3 to 25 times longer than traditional bulbs.
· Set refrigerator temperature to the manufacturer recommendation: This is important to avoid excessive cooling and wasting energy.
· Unplug battery chargers when not in use: Many devices, including battery chargers draw power continuously even when not in use.
· Plug home electronics into power strips: Use power strips such as adaptors and extension boards to reduce energy consumption. Turn the power strips off when equipment is not in use. You’ll stop these devices from using energy when idle with one convenient switch.
· Service your air conditioner: Easy maintenance, such as routinely replacing or cleaning air filters can lower your cooling systems energy consumption.
· Bring in sunlight: During daylight hours, switch off artificial lights and use windows and skylights to brighten your home
PAY ATTENTION: Share your Outstanding story with our editors! Please reach us through Editor - click here